Ankabut’s national network provides high capacity, high-speed broadband connectivity between educational, research, and eligible non-profit organizations in the United Arab Emirates.
The Ankabut network is provided through lease agreements by Etisalat the UAE’s national operator. This means that Ankabut is utilizing: the experience; the reliability; and existing practices of the leading national operator.
Etisalat has recognized the importance of generating a knowledge based economy within the UAE, and is helping academia, through the Ankabut project, to begin the free flow of information into and out of the country. Through processing the information academics are able to build knowledge, increase research capacity and export ideas & products; thus develop the UAE as a regional leader in business creation. To this end, Etisalat has kindly offered its full support to the advanced research and education network to enhance knowledge creation.
Our national network provides unconstrained network capacity optimized for the needs of the education and research communities. The Ankabut team comprises of a collection of telecom and computer centre engineers who are first and foremost academics, and understand the requirements of research and education.
The core network is made up of 10 Gbit/s connectivity between our core routers located in all major cities. Ankabut connects eligible establishments by dark fiber to the city pop and transmits at 1 Gbit/s to the city router. All network connectivity services are implemented using the Internet Protocol over Ethernet and incorporate jumbo frames. The network is both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled.
Ankabut can offer a number of network services. These include the following areas:
- Basic IP connectivity allows the connection together of institutions to share each other's servers, computing power, storage, and databases. The network enables a set of real-time services like voice and video conferencing, broadcasting lectures or student class, and allowing subject matter experts to offer master-classes from around the world.
- Smaller institutions can take advantage of combining Internet 1 with the research-and-education traffic to offer a seamless data package to the desktop.
- Multi-site institutions can be grouped with their own Virtual-Private-Network (VPN), this means that an institution's private LAN can be extended to distant locations with the full knowledge that the data is transferred in a secure, reliable and private manner.
- The Ankabut organisation is a Local Internet Registry (LIR), which means that those eligible to connect can request IPv4; IPv6 and AS numbers so that institutions can create their own network that is addressable by the rest of the world.
- Ankabut can supply connectivity at 1Gbit/s, and for larger institutions demonstrating demand, can utilize 10Gbit/s interfacing.
- Ankabut offers a reliable DNS service, so that institutions can do their own domain name look-ups (NS-Look-up service) This allows intuitions to point their own local DNS servers to be able to resolve full qualified domain names (FQDN) from around the world.
- Ankabut offers a NTP service. This service utilises the time signal from the GPS atomic clocks to synchronise a rubidium laser oscillator. This creates a very accurate stratum two clock that is made available to the Ankabut connected users.